Executive Summary

Expanded learning opportunities afterschool, before school and during the summer months play an important role in determining a child’s future success, particularly among low-income students and special student populations. However, only 20 percent of Massachusetts’ approximately 1.3 million school-age children and youth have access to high quality programming during the out-of-school time hours, leaving 80 percent of the youth population unsupervised or underserved during the hours of 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm. Since children and youth spend only 20 percent of their waking hours in the traditional classroom, many of the Commonwealth’s students do not have access to critical programming that takes place beyond the school day and supports academic success, promotes healthy social and emotional development, and prevents youth violence.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99439135/

MAP_Connecting%20Communities%20report.pdf